We are looking for an Impact Investment Director
We are looking to recruit an Impact Investment Director who will take forward our strategic plan, building the Ufi mission driven investment portfolio, whilst also supporting and guiding Ufi on the wider social impact that can be achieved through more socially active management of the core funds.
Ufi is an independent grant funding charity, focussed on supporting the use of digital technology to increase and improve UK vocational skills. We believe that digital technology has the potential to open skills up to greater numbers of people, improve learner outcomes and support and enhance traditional teaching methods.
We fund a range of projects, using different types of grant funding call and commercial investment, but all our projects have one thing in common – they are demonstration through doing. We believe in supporting practical solutions to clearly identified skills challenges or problems, where there are solid benefits for leaners and employers.
We are a dynamic and flexible organisation, committed to giving every project we fund or venture we invest in the best chance of success. This means we work closely with all the Ufi projects and investments.
We have been developing a range of funding instruments to support the delivery of our vision and mission, and we know that this means a range of different types of funding to support different types of activities.
Ufi is committed to the development of digital tech to underpin the improvement in quality, impact and access to vocational skills, and this requires us to support many different parts of the educational and technology system. We call our area of focus VocTech, as it is specifically focussed on the use of technology (Tech) for adult vocational skills (Voc). A key part of this system is the innovation and development that is normally undertaken by start-ups and early stage ventures. We have an ambition to make this sector a vibrant and high growth sector, attracting a range of private investment whilst delivering social purpose.
Ufi has a role to play in developing and showcasing this technology sector and we have been developing a core investment instrument to enable us to make mission related investments in VocTech. We have developed the initial framework, allocated funds and made early investments, but the time is now right for us to formalise the programme and develop a wider investment portfolio.
We also have a wider ambition to look at achieving greater social impact through our core investments.
Working closely with the Chief Executive, manage and help develop a mission related investment portfolio. Support the Chief Executive and Board of Trustees in the development of the wider social investment strategy, working with the Senior Leadership Team.
Core responsibilities and accountabilities
- Develop the VocTech Amplify investment framework
- Work closely with the Ufi Trustee Board, particularly the VocTech Amplify sub-committee, and CEO to agree the strategic plan and the supporting annual delivery plans
- Build and maintain strong working relationships with the wider investment, adult education and social impact communities.
- Attracting further private investment into the portfolio.
- Develop and manage a portfolio of mission related investments, meeting agreed goals on financial return and asset values. This will include developing the potential investment pipeline.
- Develop a Five Year Strategy for social investment more broadly, looking at all Ufi investment activity and seeing how social investment can help Ufi deliver its mission
- Responsibility for delivering the Five Year Strategy for Social Investment, once agreed
- Supporting the market understanding that underpins the investment and grant funding strategies
- Regular reporting to the CEO and Board of Trustees
- Ensure effective management of investment related admin and process
- Experience of working with investment funds
- Understanding of the specific challenges around early stage investment
- Experience within the EdTech field, specifically around innovative tech development
- Understanding and experience of social investment, particularly around investment by charities
- Senior level working, including working with Boards and senior stakeholder
- Building and maintaining excellent relationships with stakeholders, including maintaining your own established relationships with key investment players in the sector
- Understanding of investment pipeline development
- Ability to work within a virtual and flexible team
- Experience of remote working and the tools to support it
- Experience in establishing mixed funds
Skills and Knowledge
- Ability to build strong collaborative working relationships with partners at all levels
- Knowledge of good practice in social investment
- Knowledge and sound understanding of the evaluation and assessment of potential investments, and the due diligence required to support this
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, able to adapt style to the audience
- Ability to represent Ufi at a senior level at a range of events
- Ability to be a team player, working as part of a geographically dispersed virtual team.
Remuneration and Benefits
- Salary: Attractive salary dependent on experience
- Pension: 5% employer pension contribution (to be revised in April 2019, but will not be less than 5%)
- Private Medical Insurance
- Childcare Vouchers
- Life Insurance of four times salary
- 24 days annual leave plus bank holidays
How to apply
f you are interested in applying for this position please send your CV and a covering note outlining your interest in the role and the way you feel your experience matches the requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The closing date for applications is the 7th December.
We process this data for recruitment purposes only. We are storing this data in accordance with industry best practice aligned with ISO27001, the international standard for information security and we will not share it with anyone else.
We would like to keep this data until our open roles are filled. When that period is over, we will either delete your data or inform you that we will keep it in our database for future roles.